Anniways.net Blog

Browsing the various blogs on Feminism and Philosophy for our Ecofeminism course, I settled on Anniways blog. I found many of the writer’s insights and observations to be eye opening and thought provoking. Her post titled, “Speak Up If You Are A Good Ally” gave me pause for reflection. Am I a good ally for people of color when others bombard them with difficult and uncomfortable questions and statements? I’m not sure. As a Korean woman adopted by German parents and living in Germany, she is subjected to this “other” scrutiny often. Do I understand how she feels about these micro-aggressions? Until now, I don’t believe I have. In her very first paragraph, she was able to turn my head and question, “have I interceded on another’s behalf when confronted by ignorance?”

While the author’s writings immediately forced me to look at my own responses or lack of response, and the quirky yet sophisticated drawings created by her brought a smile to my lips and the actual design and layout of the blog was easy to navigate, I found the pattern on pattern difficult to view and the type font thin and almost ethereal for the patterned background. Having said that, overall it was a delight to read.

2 thoughts on “Anniways.net Blog

1. Hi Tari,

Thank you for your research on the ever growing problem of homelessness in California. Although I’m living in Germany right now, I am originally from Southern California (San Diego county). The homeless issue is huge in San Diego county. The city’s solution to the problem is to do sweeps, where police come by with trash trucks and dispose of the belongings of the homeless population. It’s very heart wrenching to watch. The wealthy people of San Diego dislike looking at them and want them removed. Out of sight out of mind, it’s terrible.

Comparing the social system of California to the city I live in Germany is like night and day. The German citizen is well cared for by their government. Whereas we are left to fend for ourselves in America. Homelessness in Germany is 100% a choice. No one has to be homeless in Germany. Their social system cares for its citizens and even retrains those who have been laid off from their jobs. With the amount of taxes we pay in America, it seems our government should offer more help to those in need.

• Sounds like we could learn a lot from Germany’s care of their citizens and fellow ex-patriots. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences.